Yogacharya Sri BKS Iyengar
Yogacharya Sri BKS Iyengar has passed away in Pune, India, at 3:15 am on August 20, 2014. Even as we feel deep sadness at this time, let us also feel gratitude for all that he has given us and for how he has transformed our lives. We are most fortunate to have been guided by his light in our lifetime.
Geeta Iyengar has shared the following message, in memory of her father:
Only his body has ended. One person’s efforts from inside out, changed the acceptance of yoga throughout the world. Nothing was hidden, from the time he began to practice, to his illness and death. Even last night he was telling Abhijata [his grand-daughter], “I have shown you all these things, now realize them for yourself.” What he has given cannot be encompassed by words. If a disciple is more developed, then that person will understand. What can be said in words, is that he was precious to us.
Patricia Walden, BKS Iyengar Yogamala, and the Iyengar Yoga Association of New England invite you to a special community gathering in memory of Yogacharya Sri BKS Iyengar this Sunday, August 24, 2014, from 3 to 5 pm at St. Mary’s Orthodox Church, 8 Inman Street, in Central Square, Cambridge. If you wish, please print out and bring an offering of a quote or reminiscence from BKS Iyengar that has special meaning for you, which can be displayed on our memory board. All are welcome.
The Iyengar Yoga Association of New England (IYANE) is a non-profit educational and charitable corporation incorporated in the Commonwealth of Massachusetts whose purpose is to disseminate and promote the art, science, and philosophy of Yoga according to the teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar throughout the six state region of New England in the United States: Connecticut, Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
BOARD OF DIRECTORS FOR 2013
- President: Jarvis Chen
- Vice-President: Patricia Walden
- Treasurer: Karen Bump
- Clerk/Secretary: Mary Wixted
- Membership Chair: Kathleen Swanson
- Mary Wixted, Chair
- Kathleen Swanson, Chair
- Karen Bump, Chair
- Greg Anton, Chair
- Robyn Katz, Newsletter Designer
- Eliza Childs, Copy Editor
Membership is open to any person willing to study, teach, disseminate and promote the art, science, and philosophy of Yoga according to the teachings of B.K.S. Iyengar. Membership is not restricted only to those residing in the six New England states.
- $60 for calendar year, January 1 to December 31.
- $30 goes to IYNAUS for membership in national association.
- Membership in IYANE also includes membership in the Iyengar Yoga National Association of the United States (IYNAUS).
- Newsletter: receive both IYNAUS and IYANE newsletters
- Discounts for IYANE sponsored events, workshops, classes, etc.
- Create and foster a sense of community amongst the practitioners and teachers of Iyengar Yoga in New England
HOW TO JOIN
- To join IYANE, download the Membership Application Form.
- Mail the completed form along with your check to: IYANE, c/o Kathleen Swanson, 2 Foster Center Road, Foster, RI 02825
- You can choose to pay securely online via PayPal by selecting a membership option and clicking the “Pay Now” button below.
FIND A TEACHER
Looking for a yoga teacher in New England? A full listing can be found here.
IYANE Scholarship Program
Information and the application for a $1,000 scholarship for study at RIMYI in Pune, India, is now available online. Completed applications for study in 2015 must be received by October 30, 2014.
Latest Issue of the IYANE newsletter is available.
The IYANE newsletter will no longer appear in its entirety on the Web site. In order to receive the printed copy in the mail you must be a member. Here are a few pages of the most recent edition.
- Issue 8, Fall 2014
- Issue 8, Fall 2013
- Issue 7, Summer 2013
- Issue 6, Fall 2012
- Issue 5, Summer 2012
- Issue 4, Winter 2012
- Issue 3, Summer 2011
- Issue 2, Winter 2011
- Issue 1, Summer 2010